Claim that all or most terrorists are Muslims ignores history (and reality)
by Sheila Musaji
There has been plenty of terrorism and violence committed by human beings from every religious background. Not all terrorists are Muslims. In fact, not even most terrorists are Muslims. Who is defined as a terrorist, and who is defined in some other way is not consistent.
Here is an interesting dispute about terminology and data that illustrates some of the issues:
Jeffrey Weiss wrote an article in which he made the claim:
“And we’re still left with a terrible problem for a free and multicultural society: Even though 99.999 percent of Muslims abhor attacks on innocent civilians on moral and theological grounds, 100 percent of attempted terrorist attacks on the U.S. (and, with the exception of the Basques in Spain, terrorists attacks on all Western nations) since the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing have been committed by people claiming to act in the name of Islam.”
Glenn Greenwald responded to this article and listed a number of terrorist incidents that were not committed by Muslims, closing with:
“I could spend all day listing more of the same. And that’s using the narrowest definition possible of “terrorism”—i.e., excluding any state-sponsored terrorist acts. We’re currently at various forms of war in five different Muslim countries, so it’s not surprising that some of the violence directed at us is from Muslims. But to claim that “100 percent of attempted terrorist attacks on the U.S. (and [other than Spain], terrorists attacks on all Western nations)” since 1995 are by “people claiming to act in the name of Islam” is so blatantly, demonstrably, obviously false that you really have to wonder about a person who would utter such a thing. And while most don’t veer quite as deep into the falsehood department as Weiss did, one would get the sense from listening to our standard political discourse that “Terrorism” and “Islamic-inspired Terrorism” are synonymous. It’s the kind of myth-based demonization that is as familiar as it is false, dangerous and repugnant.”
Weiss issued an apology:
[MEA CULPA:I stupidly broke one of my own writing rules there: Do not use an absolute unless you are absolutely, positively certain beyond any and all doubt. As sure as you use the words “never” or “always,” or “100 percent” someone will provide an exception. Glenn Greenwald on Salon.com provides several. I could quibble with some of his list or engage in some rhetorical dance about the definition of terrorism or try a numbers game about whether I was almost right or not. But the truth is, mine was a needless and incorrect reach that was not necessary to make my point. Which is that there are many more Muslims who oppose terror compared to the relatively few, very dangerous people who would use that faith to justify the murder of innocents. And it behooves us to do what we can to appreciate when those in the larger group do what they can to shut down the violence in spite of the potential consequences to themselves. I will surely make other mistakes down the road, but I will probably not repeat this one any time soon.]
Muqtedar Khan published an article Media only dissects the religion of terrorists when they’re Muslims which also makes many excellent points on the issue of defining our terms.
Regarding Joseph Stacks suicide flight into an IRS building Khan says: ” I did not see any “in-depth exposes” on his values and religion or the culture of America or Texas to provide both meaning and context to this horrible act of terrorism. Wait—it was not even described as terrorism. He was never described as a suicide bomber.”
Regarding the Hutaree militia arrests Khan says: “But I am disappointed that even this latest episode has not triggered a discussion on the relationship between values and violence. Is American culture deeply violent? Does that explain the imperial wars we wage overseas? I am especially disappointed that we have not discussed the Bible and its relationship to gun violence in America, at home and abroad. Does Matthew 10:34 explain American violence, according to which Jesus (peace be upon him) allegedly said: “Do not suppose that I have come to bring peace to the earth. I did not come to bring peace, but a sword.” We have had so much discussion on the sword verse in the Quran (9:05), which unlike the Bible does not really have a sword in it. Why are we not talking about radical Christianity or political Christianity?”
Regarding Netanyu’s insistence on continuing settlements in East Jerusalem he says: “But once again, I was disappointed. There was no exploration of Netanyahu’s religious values to explain how it could be his “radical Judaism” that prevents him from compromise and from sharing Jerusalem with Palestinians. We have heard the other side of the story about radical Islam a million times. Are those Israelis like Netanyahu who wish to take the whole of Jerusalem and leave nothing for the Palestinians motivated by the extremely violent verses of the First Testament (Samuel 15:2-3, Deuteronomy 20:16-18)? We don’t know, and we never ask these questions of Netanyahu, of Joseph Stack or of others. The reason why we don’t ask these questions of them is because we think we understand that the real driving force behind their policies is politics and material interests. Religion, if deployed, is used either to legitimize policies or to mobilize masses. There is no such thing as radical Christianity or radical Judaism. So why waste time discussing the ancient Bible, when we can directly address real and contemporary political issues without unnecessarily riling unrelated and peaceful Jews and Christians? This is a smart, sensible and salutary strategy. Address the problem without unnecessary complications. Now why can’t we do the same with Islam and Muslims too? Why do we insist on being obtuse when dealing with Muslims?”
INFORMATION FROM REPORTS & SURVEYS
See also our TAM article collection of Existing Reports, Polls, and Studies on Islam, Muslims & Radicalization for many more useful reports.
According to the European Police Office (Europol) in 2006 “There were 498 incidents in eleven EU countries in 2005 labelled as “terrorist attacks.” The Basque separatist group ETA committed the most (136 terrorist attacks) and was responsible for the only deadly attack, killing two in Madrid. The remaining 497 fortunately cost no human lives.” Muslims only carried out one out of the 498 terrorist attacks in the European Union in 2006. Full report
The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Elam a Hindu separatist group in Sri Lanka “had carried out more suicide bombings than any other organization on the face of the earth. According to the experts at Janes securities, between 1980 to 2000, LTTE had carried out a total of 168 suicide attacks on civilians and military targets. The number of suicide attacks easily exceeded the combined total of Hizbullah and Hamas suicide attacks carried out during the same period”
“Of all the religious groups, Muslim Americans have the lowest crime rate, and that prior to the first WTC attack, there was no violence directed against the western culture by its members. A survey of 175 recorded incidents of terrorism in the US from January 1982 to January 1996 showed that of these: 77 were committed by Christian Puerto Rican nationalists, 31 were the work of Christian animal rights and Christian environmental groups, 23 were blamed on Christian left wing organizations, 18 were committed by what the FBI called “Jewish extremists” and 12 were by Christian anti-Castro Cubans. The total number committed by Arabs or Muslims over a period of 14 years was 3 (three).” Muslim Americans: Patriotic or Fifth Columnist?, Habib Siddiqui
The U.S. Department of Justice Report on Terrorism 2002 to 2005 also lists incidents from 1980 to 2005 and clearly shows that most terrorist incidents were not carried out by Muslims.
An MPAC study on domestic terrorism shows that - Since Obama’s election on November 4, 2008 there have been 25 terror plots by non-Muslim domestic extremists and 9 plots by Muslim domestic and international extremists.
In Europe the number of arrests connected to terrorism doubled in the European Union in 2007, while the overwhelming majority of attacks carried out in its territory were linked to separatism, the EU’s police office, Europol, said in a report released by Europol.
The FBI has a chronological list of all terror attacks on US soil from 1980 to 2005, and - this is the important bit - only 6% of the attacks involved Islamist extremism. That means that here in the United States, a whopping 94% of known terrorists are not Muslim. Europol, the European Union’s criminal intelligence agency, posts a similar list each year entitled the “EU Terrorism Situation and Trend Report.” The numbers in Europe are there are even more stark, with terror attacks perpetrated by Muslims accounting for only 0.4% of terror plots in the EU from 2006-2008. The most recent report, when issued early next year, will include the details from this summer’s horrific attack in Norway, carried out by a man “calling for a Christian war to defend Europe against the threat of Muslim domination.”
The Southern Poverty Law Center has a list entitled: Terror from the Right: 75 plots, conspiracies and racist rampages since Oklahoma City which also shows that not all terrorists are Muslims. The SPLC also has a list of “Patriot” groups active in the U.S. during 2009 including 127 militias (marked with an asterisk).
Another report from the FBI makes a lot of interesting points. Here are a few highlights:
APPROXIMATELY 641 terrorist incidents occurred in the United States between 1971 and June 1975. Among these attacks were 166 bombings, 120 fire bombings, and 118 shootings. (During the first six months of 1975 alone, 24 attacks occurred in California, 12 took place in New York, and 11 were directed at targets on the U.S. Commonwealth of Puerto Rico.) Some of these attacks were carried out by extremist ethnic groups and international terrorists. But the vast majority were attributed to leftwing/antiwar extremists, many operating within such organizations as the Weather Underground, Armed Forces of Puerto Rican Liberation (FALN), the Black Liberation Army, and the Symbionese Liberation Army. p35
WAVES in domestic terrorist activity are not absolute or all encompassing. During the 1970s and early 1980s, at the height of violent antiwar/left-wing activism, there were dozens of terrorist attacks carried out by Jewish extremist groups (such as the Jewish Defense League and the United Jewish Underground) and other extremist ethnic groups (such as the Justice Commandos of the Armenian Genocide). There were also sporadic incidents involving special interest groups supporting nuclear disarmament and other causes. During the 1990s, when antigovernment right-wing groups became a primary counterterrorism focus, left-wing extremist Puerto Rican separatists continued to conduct the majority of successful terrorist attacks in the United States–primarily on the island of Puerto Rico. (The majority of terrorist acts prevented by law enforcement during the decade, however, were being planned by antigovernment right-wing terrorists–underscoring the potential threat posed by this element.) p 37 to 38
But a study of the past reveals some potentially helpful patterns. Violent domestic extremism in the United States has been closely linked to contemporary political/social concerns. In each of the three identifiable waves, violent extremism has represented a small, radicalized component of broad-based, largely peaceful movements sharing similar concerns. With regard to left- and right-wing terrorism, aggressive prosecution of group leaders, violent offenders, and those plotting attacks contributed significantly to limiting the overall threat posed by groups with these orientations. p 38
The abilities to spread propaganda and recruit new members are important to the long-term viability of extremist movements. Leftist radical movements of the 1970 and early 1980s conducted much of their propaganda and recruiting through lectures and the distribution of handbills. While right-wing groups in the 1980s and 1990s began to exploit the Internet and cable access programming to spread their views, they largely depended on videotapes and books to attract new adherents to their antigovernment, race-supremacist ideologies. By contrast, animal rights and environmental extremists rely on sophisticated computer capabilities to exploit the communications potential of the Internet to disseminate propaganda, provide information updates to adherents, recruit new members, and make claims of responsibility for terrorist activities and acts of vandalism. The communications opportunities afforded by the World Wide Web can be expected to have a far-reaching impact on the ability of contemporary extremist groups to perpetuate propaganda and attract new members. p 38
CONCLUSION - BROAD TRENDS in domestic terrorism can be identified throughout the past four decades. These trends demonstrate the fluidity of causes that can inspire acts of terrorism within a culture. A society as large, diverse, and complex as the United States can be expected to continue to yield divergent concerns and beliefs among groups and individuals who view extreme actions as the most effective means to convey their sentiments. An appreciation of the largescale shifts in terrorist trends may assist law enforcement in understanding general patterns in the threat posed by domestic extremists over several decades. The emerging challenges confronting the law enforcement community underscore more than ever the importance of interagency cooperation, effective analysis, and aggressive investigation to counter these threats. p 40
“Despite last year’s spike in the number of terrorism cases involving American Muslims, fears of growing radicalization in the American Muslim community may be greatly exaggerated, according to a new study. Researchers at Duke University and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill sais in 2010 that while homegrown Islamic terrorism is a serious issue, it remains a limited problem.” According to Time Read the full report Anti-Terror Lessons of Muslim-Americans
Time magazine released a lengthy study in 2010 of The Secret World of Extreme Militias by Barton Gellman which discusses how widespread this phenomenon of right wing violence has become in the U.S.
Loonwatch has published a must read article All Terrorists are Muslims…Except the 94% that Aren’t which takes information from the FBI report and other reports mentioned above and analyzes the list of incidents and creates an interesting pie chart that makes all the information come clearly into focus. Loonwatch states: “According to this data, there were more Jewish acts of terrorism within the United States than Islamic (7% vs 6%). These radical Jews committed acts of terrorism in the name of their religion. These were not terrorists who happened to be Jews; rather, they were extremist Jews who committed acts of terrorism based on their religious passions, just like Al-Qaeda and company.”
Even if we look only at EXTREMIST VIOLENCE AND TERRORISM IN THE U.S. from 1970 and after committed by non-Muslims, it really isn’t possible to hold to the claim that all terrorists are Muslims. If we add to this brief list all of the KKK and white supremacist violence over the years and all of the hate crimes like the hate crimes motivated by a hatred of immigrants, or gays, or African-Americans, or a particular political group, etc. Or, if we included terrorists acts that took place overseas, then this list would number in the thousands. As it is, this list is partial.
- Sterling Hall bombing at the UW–Madison, JDL bombings of Aeroflot office and Soviet offices in NYC, Weatherman bombings at U.S. Capitol in D.C. and Gulf Tower in Pittsburgh, shooting of Governor George Wallace of Alabama, Croatian terrorist hijacking of a TWA airliner, car bomb murder of Chilean gov’t officials by DINA
- Armed members of FALN raid campaign headquarters of Jimmy Carter in Chicago and George H. W. Bush in NYC, Reagan assassination attempt, bombings at Pan Am terminal in NY by the Puerto Rican Resistance Army, FALN explodes bombs outside of the FBI office in NY and the US courthouse in Brooklyn, James W. von Brunn attempted to kidnap members of the Federal Reserve in Washington, D.C., Turkish diplomats in CA and MA killed by members of the Justice Commandos Against Armenian Genocide, U.S. Senate bombing by The Armed Resistance Unit, James Oliver Huberty went into a McDonald’s in San Ysidro, CA and killed 21 people and injured 19 others before being killed himself, Rajneeshee bioterror attack in OR, 751 became ill, The Order murders Alan Berg in CO, JDL murders Alex Odeh in CA, George Hennard drove into Luby’s diner in Killeen, TX and killed 23 people and wounded more than 20 before committing suicide, Dr. David Gunn murdered in Pensacola, Florida. - Paul Hill, a former Presbyterian minister, was found guilty of the 1994 shotgun slayings of Dr. John Britton and his bodyguard, retired Air Force Lt. Col. James Herman Barrett
1990 to 1999
- American Front Skinheads, pipe bombing in Tacoma WA
- Animal Liberation Front bombing in Franklin Township, N.J. of Circus Vehicles
- Animal Liberation Front, 9 incidents of firebombing in Chicago, IL
- Boricua Revolutionary Front,Chicago IL, Car Fire and Attempted bombing
- Frank Eugene Corder attempted to hit the White House with a single-engine Cessna,
- Francisco Martin Duran fired at least 29 shots with a semi-automatic rifle at the White House,
- Earth Liberation Front, Colo. Arson Fire at Ski Resort
- Earth Liberation Front arson attack on Agriculture Hall of MSU and office complex in Monmouth, OR
- Buford O. Furrow, a former member of the Aryan Nations, in a firearms attack on a Jewish Community Center in Granada Hills, CA wounded three children, a camp counselor, and a receptionist.
- Eric Harris & Dylan Kleboldat Columbine H.S. killed 13 people and wounded 24 before commitng suicide,
- Rev. Paul Jennings Hill murders Dr. John Britton and an assistant in FL
- Ted Kaczinski, the Unabomber,
- James Kopp murders Dr. Barnett Slepian was shot to death at his home in Amherst, NY
- Sgt. William J. Kreutzer, Jr. killed one officer and wounded 17 other soldiers when he opened fire on a formation at Fort Bragg, NC.,
- Timothy McVeigh and Terry Nichols, two former soldiers, carried out the Oklahoma City bombing terrorism.
- Mexican Revolutionary Movement, attempted firebombing in Urbana IL
- Minnesota Patriots Council plots to assassinate law enforcement officials using ricin
- Alfred Reumayr plot to blow up the Trans Alaska Pipeline
- Eric Robert Rudolph, connected to The Army of God, carried out the Centennial Olympic Park bombing and abortion clinic bombing in Birmingham AL
- John Salvi killed two receptionists in two clinic attacks in Brookline, MA
- Benjamin Nathaniel Smith, a right-wing extremist and member of the World Church of the Creator, shooting rampage left two individuals dead and eight others wounded before Smith killed himself,
- Russell Eugene Weston kills two in U.S. Capitol shooting
2000 to 2013
- Jim D. Adkisson opened fire in the Tennessee Valley Unitarian Universalist Church in Knoxville TN killing two and injuring seven (a note found in his SUV indicated this was intended as a suicide attack and said the church was apparently targeted because of its support of liberal social policies),
- Alabama Free Militia, five members of anti-immigration militia were arrested for planning a machine gun attack on Mexicans. During raids by federal agents, authorities seized 130 hand grenades, two machine guns and more than 2,500 rounds of ammunition
- Chad Altman and Sergio Baca were arrested for the arson of Dr. Curtis Boyd’s clinic in Albuquerque NM
- The Animal Liberation Front targeted a UCLA professor with a firebomb due to her research on animals,
- Samuel Arrington was arrested for a series of 55 arson fires across Los Angeles.
- Daniel L. Barefoot, Sharon Renee Barefoot, Jonathan A. Avery, Jonathan Maynard, Marvin G. Gautier and Rossie Lynwood Strickland , six members of the Nation’s Knights of the Ku Klux Klan pleaded guilty to a variety of weapons and conspiracy charges in connection with an illegal gun trading scheme in the early 2000s to finance a plan to blow up the Johnston County, North Carolina, courthouse.
- Philip Bay planned a massacre of fellow Virginia Beach students
- John Patrick Bedell, an anti-government extremist walks into the Pentagon and opens fire, wounding two officers before he is himself shot dead.
- Birmingham militia anti-immigrant plot. Five members of a self styled Birmingham, Alabama area anti-immigration militia were arrested for planning a machine gun attack on Mexicans. 2007
- Tyler Brehm went on a shooting rampage in Hollywood, CA and was killed by police
- Anders Breivik (Norway) massacre at Utoya Youth Camp
- Kody Brittingham, a Marine is arrested and charged with plotting to assassinate President Obama. Brittingham also collected white-supremacist material.
- Seung-Hui Cho killed 32 people and wounded many others at Virginia Tech before committing suicide,
- Brian Church, Jared Chase, and, Brent Vincent Betterly, self-described anarchists, were arrested in Chicago in apparent plot to bomb Obama headquarters, and the mayor’s home ** Charged with conspiring to commit domestic terrorism **
- Daniel Cowart and Paul Schlesselman, two white power skinheads plot to target an African American High School and kill 88 blacks and decapitate 14 more (the numbers 88 and 14 are symbolic to white supremacists) and although expecting to fail try to assassinate Barack Obama,
- Cody Crawford arrested for firebombing the Salman Alfarisi Islamic Mosque in Corvallis, Oregon. He called himself a “Christian warrior”.
- Demetrius Van Crocker a white supremacist from rural TN attempted to acquire Sarin nerve gas and C-4 explosives that he planned to use to destroy government buildings,
- James Cummings dirty bomb plot, Belfast, Maine, police discover the makings of a nuclear “dirty bomb” in the basement of a white supremacist shot dead by his wife. The man, who was independently wealthy, reportedly was agitated about the election of President Obama and was crafting a plan to set off the bomb.
- Matthew L. Derosia rammed a SUV into the front entrance of a Planned Parenthood clinic in St. Paul, Minnesota
- John Earl, a Catholic priest drove his car into the Northern Illinois Health Clinic and pulled out an ax before being shot at by a security guard,
- Earth Liberation Front members plead guilty to burning The Center for Urban Horticulture at the University of Washington.
- Paul Ross Evans left a package at a women’s health clinic in Austin, Texas containing an explosive device capable of inflicting serious injury or death. A bomb squad detonated the device after evacuating the building. Paul Ross Evans (who had a criminal record for armed robbery and theft) was found guilty of the crime
- Marcus Faella, Christopher Brooks, Richard Stockdale, Kent McLellan, Patricia Faella, Jennifer McGowan, Mark McGowan, Diane Stevens, Paul Jackson, and Dustin Perry, arrested in Florida. Members of a neo-Nazi organization known as the American Front 17 which is considered a domestic terrorism group. Arrested for “planning and preparing the AF for what he believes to be an inevitable race war” and had stated “his intent ... to kill Jews, immigrants and other minorities.” **
- Leo Felton and Erica Chase bomb plot against Jewish and African-American targets.
- David Anthony Fuselier and 4 other members of the American Invisible Empire of the Ku Klux Klan were convicted in federal court in Louisiana on conspiracy and intimidation charges for burning a cross at the residence of three African-American men in Longville, Louisiana. The five men, who all pleaded guilty, had burned the cross in an attempt to coerce the victims into leaving the community
- One Goh opened fire at a Christian college in California, killing at least seven people and wounding three
- Robert Goldstein planned to blow up 50 mosques in Florida, and 
- Anthony Graziano and Aakash Dalal arrested for the firebombing of a Rutherford synagogue, Congregation Beth El, and the home of Rabbi Nossom Schuman and his family earlier this month.
- Matt Hale of the World Church of the Creator was convicted in 2004 of soliciting the murder of Chicago federal Judge Joan Humphrey Lefkow
- Jeffrey Harbin who has ties to the neo-Nazi National Socialist Movement (NSM) and was formerly a member of the neo-Nazi National Alliance, arrested for transporting 12 grenade-like improvised explosive devices.
- Kevin William Harpham has been charged with illegal possession of an explosive device and attempting to use a “weapon of mass destruction,” after leaving a backpack bomb with the potential of killing or injuring dozens of people along the route of a Martin Luther King Day “unity march” in downtown Spokane, Washington. He is a former soldier with white supremacist connections.
- Robert Hawkins went on a shooting spree in an Omaha, Nebraska mall killing 8 and injuring 5 innocent people
- Christopher Hecker was arrested and charged with making death threats against the president and threatened to bomb the White House, hotels and other places, including Philadelphia City Hall and the site of the former World Trade Center. **
- Lucas John Helder rigged pipe bombs in private mailboxes to explode when the boxes were opened, He injured 6 people in Nebraska, Colorado, Texas, Illinois, and Iowa. His motivation was to garner media attention so that he could spread a message denouncing government control over daily lives and the illegality of marijuana.
- Rev. Neal Horsley arrested in Atlanta for terrorism against gays & lesbians for advocating the murder of Elton John, and who advocates that gays should be hunted down and killed. 2010 **
- Darren Wesley Huff was convicted of transporting firearms across state lines with the intent to cause a civil disorder. Huff intended to arrest public officials pursuant to “citizens arrest warrants,” which were directed at numerous local, state, and federal public officials, including sheriffs, police chiefs, and President Obama. When arrested Huff carried in his vehicle a .45 caliber handgun and an AK-47 with ammunition. He told people that day that he had 300-400 rounds of ammunition with the AK-47 **
- Patricia Hughes and Jeremy Dunahoe threw a Molotov cocktail at a clinic in Shreveport, LA,
- David Hull, Pennsylvania Klan leader was convicted of a variety of illegal weapons charges in connection with an alleged plot to use hand grenades to attack abortion clinics; he also allegedly told an informant that he had turned his car into a “suicide bomb on wheels.”
- Hutaree “Christian warrior” militia. Seven militiamen from the Hutaree Militia in Michigan and Ohio are arrested and charged with plotting to assassinate local police officers with the intent of sparking a new civil war.
- An Idaho Mountain Militia Boys plot to kill a judge an a police officer and break a friend out of jail is uncovered,
- Vadim Ignatov shooting attack on Muslim home in Oregon
- Bruce Ivins anthrax attacks kill five across the U.S. with politicians and media officials as the apparent targets,
- JDL plot by Irv Rubin and Earl Krugel to blow up the King Fahd Mosque and the office of Congressman Darrell Issa in CA foiled,
- Samuel James Johnson was one of two people arrested that federal investigators say were white supremacists who had plans to attack. Specific details on the plot have not been released but what we do know is it included a number of guns and the intent to hurt government workers and minorities. The FBI says at some point, Johnson formed his own white supremacist group and was planning to recruit others in an attack against the government and minorities. He’s a former leader and member of the National Socialist Movement – a white supremacist group. **
- Jerry and Joe Kane, two “sovereign citizens” gunned down two police officers who pull them over for a traffic violation, and then wound two more officers in a shootout in which both of them are eventually killed.
- Anarchist Joseph Konopka was found in possession of deadly amounts of sodium cyanide and potassium cyanide
- William Krar is charged for his part in the Tyler poison gas plot, a white supremacist related plan, his weapons cache included a half a million rounds of ammunition, more than 60 pipe bombs, machine guns, silencers, and remote-controlled bombs disguised as briefcases.
- T.J. Lane, a student opened fire in a cafeteria at Chardon High School in Ohio, killing three students and injuring two others before he was arrested.
- John Francis Lechner arrested after ATF agents found 4,100 pounds of explosives, 2,000 feet of detonating cord and dozens of blasting caps at three locations.
- James J. Lee wearing explosives and carrying a gun took hostages at the headquarters of the Discovery Channel in Silver Spring, Maryland before being killed by police. He was protesting the channel’s “anti environmental” message and programming encouraging birth of humans who he called filthy
- Ray Lazier Lengend, a 40-year-old of Guyanese descent has been arrested on five counts of criminal possession of a weapon, five counts of arson one considered a hate crime for a series of molotov coctail firebombings in NYC (including a mosque).
- Ryan Daniel Lewis was convicted of arson in a number of incidents on behalf of the Earth Liberation Front in CA
- Thomas Hayward Lewis, a white power skinhead arrested in Mobile Alabama for vandalism and cache of explosives found in his home
- Jared Lee Loughner, the alleged mass murderer who shot U.S. Rep. Gabrielle Giffords of Arizona at a political gathering
- Donny Love, Sr. has been indicted for his alleged role in bombing of the federal courthouse in downtown San Diego. Multiple nail-laden pipe bombs exploded at a Federal Courthouse in San Diego causing “considerable damage” to the entrance and lobby and sending shrapnel two blocks away. The F.B.I. is investigating links between this attack and an April 25 explosion at the FedEx building also in San Diego
- Keith Luke went on shooting spree in MA to kill as many non whites and Jews as possible,
- Dennis & Daniel Mahon send mail bombs to a diversity office in Scottsdale AZ that injure three,
- Alberto Martinez - two officers were killed at Forward Operating Base Danger in Tikrit, Iraq by a deliberately placed mine, Staff Sergeant Alberto B. Martinez was charged, but was acquitted in a court martial trial at Fort Bragg, NC,
- Richard McLaren, former president of the Republic of Texas militia, kidnapped his neighbors leading to a week-long standoff between the police and “antigovernment separatists.
- David McMenemy of Rochester Hills, Michigan crashed his car into the Edgerton Women’s Care Center in Davenport, Iowa. He then doused the lobby in gasoline and then started a fire. McMenemy committed these acts in the belief that the center was performing abortions
- Justin Carl Moose plot to bomb abortion clinics. The FBI alleges he referred to himself as the “Christian counterpart to (Osama) bin Laden”
- Dallin Morgan, and Joshua Hogan were arrested in Utah for allegedly planning to bomb their high school assembly and make their getaway in a stolen plane.
- Donny Eugene Mower was arrested on federal charges of attacking a reproductive health clinic in Madera CA, and authorities said he also is responsible for vandalism and menacing signs left at the city’s Islamic center.
- Gail Nettles plot to blow up Federal Building
- Robert Pickett discharged a number of shots from a weapon in the direction of the White House,
- Richard Andrew Poplawski - Three Pittsburgh police officers are fatally shot and a fourth wounded by Richard Andrew Poplawski, who had posted his racist and anti-Semitic views on white supremacist websites.
- Project 7, two members are arrested plotting to kill judges and law enforcement officials in order to kick off a revolution,
- J.T. Ready, a former Marine, a neo-Nazi and member of the anti-immigrant Minutemen Civil Defense Corps, strapped on body armor, grabbed several firearms, and then killed four people in Gilbert, Arizona. ** He was the target of an FBI terrorism investigation at the time of the shooting. **
- Charles Carl Roberts IV went into an Amish school in Lancaster County, PA and killed 5 girls before committing suicide,
- Daniel and Timothy Robinson arrested in possession of materials to make bio-chemical weapons
- Scott Roeder Assassination of Dr. George Tiller
- Bobby Joe Rogers, 41, firebombed the American Family Planning Clinic in Pensacola, Florida with a Molotov cocktail; the fire gutted the building.
- Daniel James Schertz, N GA White Knights member pleaded guilty to building pipe bombs designed to blow up buses carrying Mexican and Haitian migrant workers from Tennessee to Florida
- Kyle Shaw bombing of a Starbucks in Manhattan’s Upper East Side, police said his motive was to emulate “Project Mayhem” a series of assaults on corporate America
- Joseph Stack’s suicide flight into an IRS building.
- Roger Stockham was arrested in a car laden with explosives outside one of the nation’s largest mosques in Dearborn MI
- Texas Militia former leaders plot to attack the Federal Building in Houston,
- Frederick Thomas, Dan Roberts, Ray H. Adams, and Samuel J. Crump members of a fringe militia organization in Georgia, arrested for plotting terror attacks on the federal government
- John Thomas stoned a homosexual man to death in Pennsylvania because the Bible said to
- Joseph Benjamin Thomas and Samuel James Johnson arrested for a plot to blow up the Mexican consulate in St. Paul, Minnesota, and attempting to form a militant supremacist group called the Aryan Liberation Movement targeting minorities, liberals, and government officials. **
- Bruce and Joshua Turnidge, a pair of “Patriot” movement radicals who wanted “to attack the political infrastructure”—threaten a bank in Woodburn, Oregon, with a bomb in the hopes of extorting money that would end their financial difficulties, for which they blamed the government. Instead, the bomb goes off and kills two police officers. The men eventually are convicted and sentenced to death for the crime.
- Twelve white supremacists have been arrested in Melbourne, Florida crime and criminal conspiracy charges stemming from an alleged plot to attack a rival, anti-racism group at a rally they expected to happen in downtown Melbourne. **
- Mark David Uhl arrested in plot to kill the family of itinerant Calvinist provocateur Fred Phelps (famous for their “Fag Troops” rallies outside soldiers’ funerals). 2007 **
- Jomar Falu Vives a Fort Carson, CO soldier and Iraq war veteran accused of killing 2 people and wounding another in drive-by shootings,
- U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum shooting by James Wenneker von Brunn,
- Lonnie Vernon and 4 others were arrested on charges connected with an alleged plot to kidnap or kill state troopers and a Fairbanks, Alaska judge
- Clayton Waagner, claiming to act on the part of the “Virginia Dare Chapter” of the Army Of God mailed hoax letters containing a white powder to 554 clinics,
- Jeffrey Weise killed his grandfather and his grandfather’s girlfriend on the Red Lake, MN Chippewa reservation, then went to Red Lake H.S. where he killed 7 people and wounded 5 others before committing suicide,
- Byron Williams loads up on weapons and drives to the Bay Area intent on attacking the offices of the Tides Foundation and the ACLU, but is intercepted by state patrolmen and engages them in a shootout and armed standoff in which two officers and Williams are wounded.
- Douglas Wright, 26, of Indianapolis; Brandon Baxter, 20, of Lakewood, Ohio; Anthony Hayne, 35, of Cleveland; Connor Stevens, 20, of Berea; and Joshua Stafford, 23, of Cleveland were arrested and charged with conspiracy and attempted use of explosive material to damage physical property affecting interstate commerce for trying to blow up a bridge. Anarchists. **
- Alexander Robert Youshock’s plot to bomb a school in San Mateo, CA
Canadian Terrorist Richard Henry Bain: “I am a Christian soldier. I fight for freedom, democracy and justice” **
- Blaec Lammers arrested for planning a planning mass shooting at “Breaking Dawn” screening, and a Walmart in Missouri. **
- Texas ‘Sovereign’, Phillip Monroe Ballard, Charged in Murder-for-Hire Scheme Targeting Judge **
- William Harrell, was found with more than 145 pounds of explosives in Brisbane, Calif., might have connections to the antigovernment “sovereign citizens” movement, an extremist ideology whose adherents believe they don’t have to obey most laws or pay taxes. **
- Aryan Brotherhood of Texas possible connection to two apparent assassinations of Kaufman County, Texas prosecutors; Deputy District Attorney Mark Hasse, and District Attorney Mike McLelland, and his wife Cynthia ** and **
- Laurence Alan Stewart II is under arrest in Great Falls, Mont., after leading police on a wild 40-mile chase during which he tossed seven ignited pipe bombs into the path of pursuing officers. **
- Gregory Arthur Weiler II Arrested in Plot to Blow up 48 Churches in Oklahoma” **
- Richard Schmidt a convicted felon and neo-Nazi amassed 40,000 rounds of ammunition and planned to kill black and Jewish community leaders in Detroit as part of a “hit list **
- Four soldiers, Army Pfc. Michael Burnett, Pvt. Isaac Aguigui, Sgt. Anthony Peden and Pvt. Christopher Salmon, arrested for murder and plotting to assassinate the President and take over Ft. Stewart and the U.S. Government. **
- Wade Michael Page, a former Army PsyOps soldier, carries out terrorist attack on a Sikh Temple in Wisconsin, killing 6 and injuring 3 **
- James Holmes burst into the emergency exit door of a theater and shot 71 people, killing 12, at a midnight premiere of the new Batman movie in Colorado **
- Jeffrey Lee Michael went on a shooting rampage in Pennsylvania that left 3 people dead before he was killed **
- William Spengler set fire to his home in Webster to lure firefighters, and then began shooting at them. He killed two firefighters before he was killed by the police. **
- Newtown, CT elementary school shooting rampage by Adam Lanza left 20 children and 8 adults dead **
- In Federal Way WA, Dennis Clark III, 27, fatally shot his girlfriend in the head, then killed three more people at the Pinewood Village Apartments **
- Santiago Rios, a Latino street gang leader and his son, Louis Rios were sentenced in federal court to lengthy prison terms for their role in a years-long campaign of racist terror and ethnic cleansing targeting African Americans in and around Los Angeles. **
- Police in Stamford have discovered a home filled with bomb-making materials, assorted firearms, and white supremacist and anti-police propaganda. Police discovered loaded weapons including rifles and shotguns near entry points to the home, white supremacist and anti-police propaganda, a monitoring system to watch the outside of the home, and a reinforced escape tunnel that ran underground through the backyard, the Stamford Patch reported. They also found bombs that were being prepared with PVC pipes loaded with nuts and bolts that were apparently meant to serve as anti-personnel shrapnel. **
- James Oliver Seevakumaran, a college student with two guns, hundreds of rounds of ammunition and a backpack filled with explosives pulled a dorm fire alarm Monday in an apparent attempt to force other students out into the open so that he could slaughter them, authorities said. But he instead put a bullet in his head as police closed in. **
- In Phoeniz AZ, Arthur Douglas Harmon carried out a shooting in an office complex killing two and injuring another **
- Esteban Smith, an active duty Marine, went on a shooting spree in Texas, killing 1 and wounding 5 others who were randomly targeted **
- A mass shooting at a New Orleans Mother’s Day Parade by Aiken Scott and his brother left 19 people wounded. **
- A shooting at a carnival in Hampton VA left one teen dead and 4 others injured ** Two teenagers have been arrested **
- Derek Shrout, was arrested for allegedly plotting to kill 6 Black students by blowing them up with homemade grenades. Bomb-making material, including tobacco cans and shrapnel, were discovered when police searched his home last Friday. Two large cans were labeled ‘Fat Boy’ and ‘Little Man,’ referencing the two atomic bombs that the United States used to decimate Hiroshima and Nagasaki during War World II. **
- Anthony Baumgartner & Stephen Harkness, neo-Nazis, arrested in Kentucky for gruesome murder, dismemberment of a man they believed to be a drug dealer. They were following point 17 of a National Socialist Movement manifesto. **
- Kim Lene Williams & Eric Lyle Williams arrested and charged with murders of District Attorney Mike McLelland, his wife Cynthia on March 30, and of Assistant District Attorney Mark Hasse on January 31. Eric Williams was arrested Saturday after allegedly e-mailing an anonymous threat to law enforcement from his personal computer, according to a probable cause affidavit. The threat came on March 31, a day after the McLellands were found dead in their home near Forney, Tex. The email said further violence would occur if his demands — which authorities did not specify — were not met. On April 12, officials executed a search warrant on Williams’ home in Kaufman, Tex. **
- A little over a week before three people were killed and more than 260 people were injured in the devastating Boston Marathon bombing, a resident of Jersey City, New Jersey, Mykyta Panasenko was arrested for carrying two homemade explosives on a New Jersey Transit train. Panasenko was charged with having “two destructive devices, specifically improvised explosive devices (IEDs) constructed from a cylinder containing Pyrodex (black powder)” that he carried onto a train leaving Hoboken, N.J. to Suffern, N.Y. on April 7 **
- Buford Rogers, a felon, was arrested for planning a ‘Terrorist Attack’ in Minnesota. The FBI found a cache of explosives including Molotov cocktails, pipe bombs, and firearms in his home. **
- Grant Accord, an Oregon teen was arrested for a school attack plot. Police found six bombs in a secret compartment of his room. **
- A Detroit teen was arrested and charged with domestic terrorism in an alleged threat against the St. Mary’s Polish Country Fair. **
- Glenn Scott Crawford & Eric J. Feight arrested in Albany NY for a plot to sell a deadly mobile radiation device to Jewish groups and/or the KKK. The investigation broke open in April 2012 when Crawford allegedly went into an Albany-area synagogue and “asked to speak with a person who might be willing to help him with a type of technology that could be used by Israel to defeat its enemies, specifically, by killing Israel’s enemies while they slept,” the complaint says. He referred to Muslims and enemies of the United States as “medical waste,” according to court records.**
- Shannon Richardson has been arrested for sending a threatening letter laced with the deadly chemical ricin from Shreveport, Louisiana to New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg as a response to the mayor’s outspoken support for stricter gun control laws. Two identical letters, also containing the lethal substance, were addressed to both President Barack Obama and the head of the Washington D.C. lobbying group, Mayors Against Illegal Guns. ** & **
- John Zawahri, a Christian, went on a shooting rampage in Santa Monica, CA. **
- Jared Kano arrested for Tampa High School bomb plot to set off some explosive devices at Freedom High School. **
- Kyle Alan Batt a white supremacist with ties to the neo-Nazi Hammerskins. shot 2 law enforcement officers in Idaho **
- Harold C. “Hal” Turner arrested and charged with threatening to assault and murder three federal judges over a handgun ban decision. **
- Two New Jersey white supremacists, Christopher Ising & Michal Gunar were arrested on hate crimes charges for attacking several men of Egyptian descent on New Years Eve **
- Carlos Marroquin arrested in Texas for a series of hate crimes including threatening to kill a convenience store clerk and burn his store down because he was Muslim **
- Jamie Larson indicted in Washington on a federal hate crime charge relating to a racially motivated assault of a 50-year-old Sikh man. **
- Keith Max Pierce arrested in Utah after threatening to bomb the Utah IRS building and other government facilities **
- David Allen Brutsche and Devon Campbell Newman, Sovereign citizens, arrested for a plot to kidnap and execute police officers in Las Vegas, NV **
- Aaron Green and Morgan Gliedman were arrested in Greenwich Village on explosives possession charges. a police search of their Greenwich Village apartment turned up papers titled “The Terrorist Encyclopedia” and “Deadly Homemade Weapons.” Officials also found seven grams of hexamethylene triperoxide diamine (HMTD), a highly explosive ingredient used in bomb making, along with a cache of weapons. Officials say the couple was plotting to blow up the Washington Square Park arch. **
- Richard Schmidt arrested with an arsenal of 18 guns, more than 40,000 rounds of ammunition, and bulletproof body armor. Besides the arsenal, he had lists of Jewish and black leaders in Detroit **
- LeRoy Shawn Selsor of the Aryan Brotherhood of Texas sentenced for sending threatening letters laced with fake anthrax powder to a federal judge and a prosecutor in Arkansas **
- A man rammed his car into a women’s clinic that he thought was an abortion clinic and set it ablaze in Davenport, Iowa,
- A bomb was left in a women’s clinic in Austin but failed to explode,
- UC-Santa Cruz molecular biologist David Feldheim’s home was firebombed. A car belonging to another researcher from that University was destroyed by a firebomb in what is presumed to be related. FBI is investigating incidents as domestic terrorism related to animal rights groups,
- Three Packages detonate in the mail rooms of two Maryland state government buildings. No serious injuries
- A homemade bomb damaged a Recruiting Office in Times Square
- A pair of improvised explosive devices were thrown at the Mexican Consulate in New York City. The fake grenades were filled with black powder, and detonated by fuses, causing very minor damage. Police were investigating the connection between this and a similar attack against the British Consulate in New York
- Unknown person firebombed an abortion clinic in Grand Chute, WI
- Unknown person firebombed the Offices of Texas State Sen. Wendy Davis
- white supremacists planned to bomb a series of institutions associated with the black and Jewish communities including the U.S. Holocaust Memorial Museum
Incidents like that at Fort Hood are often presented as if they are unique to Muslims. This is patently untrue. Here is a list of only a few similar incidents:
1995 - Sgt. William J. Kreutzer, Jr. killed one officer and wounded 17 other soldiers when he opened fire on a formation at Fort Bragg, NC.
2003 - Army sergeant Hasan Karim Akbar killed two officers of the 327th Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division in Iraq (He was a Muslim convert)
2005 - Two officers were killed at Forward Operating Base Danger in Tikrit, Iraq by a deliberately placed mine. Staff Sergeant Alberto B. Martinez was charged in the killing but was acquitted in a court martial trial at Fort Bragg, NC.
2006 - Pvt. Steven Green raped a 14-year-old girl, and killed her and 3 other members of her family in Iraq
2007 - Master Sgt. John Hatley convicted of the execution-style killings of 4 bound and blindfolded Iraqi detainees near Baghdad.
2007 - Olin Ferrier, a Fort Carson, CO soldier killed a taxi driver in Pueblo, CO
2008 - Staff Sgt. Brandon Norris killed Spc. Kamisha Block and then committed suicide in Iraq. The military first reported this as a death by “friendly fire”.
2008 - Spc. Jody Michael Wirawan killed 1st Lt. Robert Bartlett Fletcher at Fort Hood and then committed suicide
2008 - Dustin Thorson, an Air Force technical sergeant killed his son and daughter on Tinker Air Base, OK. (He had been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder after returning from Iraq.)
2008 - Edgar Patino, a soldier at Fort Bragg, NC killed another soldier Spc. Megan Touma who was pregnant.
2009 - Jomar Falu Vives a Fort Carson, CO soldier and Iraq war veteran accused of killing 2 people and wounding another in drive-by shootings.
2012 - Staff Sgt. Robert Bales massacred 17 Afghan civilians including 11 children. Again, if we were to add in all such acts of terror carried out during a war, this list would be very long.
- August, 2007 Jose Carranza, 28, an illegal alien from Peru kills three college students and injures another in Newark New Jersey.
- April, 2006, 33 people were killed when a student, Sun Hui Cho, a Korean Student went on a shooting spree at Virginia Tech University.
- September, 2006, fifteen-year-old Eric Hainstock fatally shot the principal of a school in rural Cazenovia, Wisconsin, a day after the principal gave him a disciplinary warning for having tobacco on school grounds, police said.
- October 2006, a milk truck driver tied up and shot 10 Amish schoolgirls in their classroom in Pennsylvania, killing five of them before turning the gun on himself.
- On October 1, 2005, Joel Henry HINRICHS III, a Christian college student at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, OK detonated a large bomb made of TATP outside of a packed football stadium in Norman, Oklahoma.
- March, 2005, Sixteen-year-old Jeff Weise shot and killed five schoolmates, a teacher and an unarmed guard at a high school on the Red Lake Indian Reservation in Minnesota before taking his own life. Weise had earlier killed his grandfather and his grandfather’s companion.
- April, 1999, Two teenagers also killed 12 students and a teacher at their high school in Columbine, Colorado, before committing suicide.
- May, 1998, Seventeen-year-old Kip Kinkel killed two teenagers and injured more than 20 people when he opened fire at a high school in Springfield, Oregon, after killing his parents.
- March, 1998, Two boys, ages 11 and 13, fired on their Jonesboro, Arkansas middle school from nearby woods, killing four girls and a teacher and wounding 10 others.
- December, 1997, Fourteen-year-old Michael Carneal killed three students and wounded five others at a high school in West Paducah, Kentucky.
- October, 1997, Sixteen-year-old Luke Woodham of Pearl, Mississippi, killed two students and wounded seven others after stabbing his mother to death.
- November, 1991, Gang Lu, 28, a graduate student in physics from China, killed five and injured four others at the University of Iowa campus, then fatally shotshimself.
- August, 1966, Charles Joseph Whitman, a 25-year-old architectural engineering honor student at the University of Texas, climbed to the top of the university’s 27-story tower and shot 44 people before he was killed by police. Authorities later found the bodies of the gunman’s mother and his wife at their homes.
Two of the individuals most responsible for continually attempting to promote this false claim that most terrorists are Muslims are Pamela Geller and her partner in hate, Robert Spencer of AFDI/SIOA. TAM has published 17,000+ “Islamic terrorist” attacks exist only in fevered Islamophobic brains responding to this propaganda in detail with links to many resources for actual facts. Spencer claims that there have been only 2 or 4 non-Muslim or “white male” terrorists since 9/11.
TAM has added a regularly updated resource Resources for dealing with Islamophobes & Islamophobia which provides links to many sources of information in response to this and other false claims.
Dave Gilson at Mother Jones has published Charts: How Much Danger Do We Face From Homegrown Jihadist Terrorists?. He notes: ... If one or both of the suspects in last week’s attack, Tamerlan and Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, were motivated by radical Islamic beliefs, then they will have the dubious distinction of being the first jihadists to have set off a bomb on American soil since the 1993 World Trade Center bombing. He provides a great deal of information with links to sources, and a number of charts. Think Progress published CHART: 17 Years After Oklahoma City Bombing, Right-Wing Extremism Is Significant Domestic Terror Threat which notes that ... Fifty-six percent of domestic terrorist attacks and plots in the U.S. since 1995 have been perpetrated by right-wing extremists, as compared to 30 percent by ecoterrorists and 12 percent by Islamic extremists. Right-wing extremism has been responsible for the greatest number of terrorist incidents in the U.S. in 13 of the 17 years since the Oklahoma City bombing.
In Feb., Spencer Ackerman at Wired published Report: U.S. Muslim Terrorism Was Practically Nil in 2012.
Charles Kurzman has written an important article on how terrorism is identified Mis-Mapping Terror. Type terrorism into the TAM search engine for many other articles written since this collection was begun. See PREJUDICED, RACIST, OR VIOLENT INCIDENTS AT MOSQUES for a list of such incidents at mosques in the U.S. by date.
No matter how many facts are given to counter the false argument that most or all terrorism is committed by Muslims, the claim continues to be raised.
Jesse Watters attended the recent ISNA convention in D.C. as a journalist and interviewed random attendees. Watters is a producer on the O’Reilly Factor. You can see a video of the segment that aired on Watters’ World on the O’Reilly Factor here. One of those random people interviewed was asked to name any Christian terrorists, and was unable to to so. Watters and O’Reilly in their conversation discussed the “fact” that the ISNA attendee couldn’t name any Christian terrorists because there haven’t been any Christian terrorist attacks, and O’Reilly said “it’s always a Muslim, we had the Unabomber and things like that, but recently it’s always been Muslims.”
Loonwatch has a video of Cenk Uygur in a segment of the Young Turks program responding to Jesse “Dirty” Watters appearance and claims on the Bill O’Reilly program here. Cenk Uygur does an excellent job of showing how ridiculous this claim is.
A number of articles have been published recently about the continuing problem of singling out Muslims as more violent than others. Raw Story, Angry, armed and white: The typical profile of Ameriuca’s most violent extremists. Jaweed Kaleem Obama’s Anti-Extremist Strategy Criticized As Wrongly Singling Out Muslims. Daniel Byman Five myths about violent extremism. Libby Watson How the media treated Muslims who condemned extremist violence.
FAIR has collected a good cross section of articles on the most recent act of terrorism by non-Muslims that is not being called terrorism - When is Terrorism Not Terrorism?. This is the case of Jerad and Amanda Miller, who fatally shot three people in Nevada before killing themselves. In the article In the news media, are Muslims the only ‘terrorists’?, Paul Farhi asks: “What do you call a couple who espouse an extremist, anti-government ideology and kill two policemen and a bystander while draping one of their victims in a flag associated with a political movement?”
There have been a number of cases, and the mainstream press is beginning to talk about the double standards and hypocrisy. See:— Are all terrorists Muslims? It’s not even close and Home-Grown, Right-Wing Terrorism: The Hate the GOP Refuses to See by Dean Obeidallah — DHS intelligence report warns of domestic right-wing terror threat — Terrorist Conspiracies and Attacks by Right-wing Extremists, 1995-2015, ADL — Stunning Terrorism Statistics that Nobody Wants You to Know — 6 modern-day Christian terrorist groups our media conveniently ignores —
Yet another terrorist plot that is not being called terrorism — this one by a former Congressional candidate and Christian Minister, Robert Doggart. This is particularly egregious since he was let out on a low bail, and may only get a maximum of 5 years even though it was a serious plot.
See: — The Terrorist Who Got Away, MPAC — America Snores When Christian Terrorist Threatens to Massacre Muslims — Former US Congress candidate admits plan to ‘utterly destroy’ Muslim village in gun attack — Former Congressional candidate guilty in plot to bomb, kill Muslims in upstate N.Y. hamlet of ‘Islamberg’ — A Terror Threat Fox News Won’t Cover — Islamberg death plot plea deal needs federal review — Why American Media Is Silent About This Christian Terrorist From New York? — Terrorist who wanted to destroy Islamberg, NY released on bail — Would This Man Be Charged With Terrorism If He Were Muslim?, Justin Salhani
Some articles on “religious” extremism and terrorism
- A Terrorist By Any Other Name, Jane Chastain
- A long history of injustice ignored article collection
- A spiritual jihad against terrorism, Sheila Musaji
- A new face for racism and fascism
- Against the Nihilism of Terror: Jihad as Testimony to Transcendence, Dr. S. Pervez Manzoor
- American Foreign Policy on Genocide
- Anatomy of Terror, John Chuckman
- Are Mexico’s Drug Cartels Terrorist Groups? http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/foreigners/2010/04/are_mexicos_drug_cartels_terrorist_groups.html
- Bomb attacks on the rise again in Ireland http://www.loonwatch.com/2011/05/bomb-attacks-on-the-rise-in-ireland-what-if-they-were-muslim/
- Can Only Muslims Be Terrorists, Kamran Memon
- The Changing Face of Genocide, Mark Levine
- Christian extremist organizations TAM article collection
- Christian extremist statements (TAM article collection)
- Christian terrorism http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_terrorism
- Christian terrorism - the Islamic mirror
- Christian violence in history
- Cruelty and Violence in the Bible
- Deaths by Mass Unpleasantness: Estimated Totals for the Entire 20th Century
- DEATH TOLLS for 20th Century Wars
- Defending Christian Terrorism
- Detailed database of global terrorism incidents
- Domestic terrorism in the U.S.
- Double Standards, Dubious Morality and Duplicity of the Fight Against Terror, Robert Fisk
- Dresden, Tokyo, Hiroshima, and Nagasaki: Terror on a Monumental Scale, Patrick J. Buchanan
- Fearsome extremists massing in their pews, Jonathan liu
- Hirabah - Jihad - Terrorism - Violence - Just War - Crusades - article collection
- History of the car bomb
- Islam is not the source, but the solution to terrorism, Harun Yahya
- Jewish extremist organizations TAM article collection
- Jewish extremist statements
- Judeo-Christians: Pied Pipers for Serial War, Charles E. Carlson
- List of terrorist incidents by year
- List of Zionist terror incidents and 
- List of non state terrorist incidents http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_non-state_terrorist_incidents
- Looking Away, Stephen Holmes
- Mass Crimes Against Humanity in the Last 50 Years
- Media Asked Not to Call Miami Terror Suspects Muslims
- Muslim Holocausts and Genocide Remembrance Day, M.A.T.
- Myth of Muslim Support for Terror, Kenneth Ballen
Nationalists pose bigger threat than al-Qaeda, Robert Lambert (list of nationalist terror plots in the UK) http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2011/07/201172482841769458.html
- Not All Muslims Are Terrorists, But…, Hesham A. Hassaballa
- Not all terrorists are Muslim, Iftekhar Hai
- Not All Terrorists Are Muslims, the latest falsehood from the advocates of civilizational war, Shahid Alam
- The not-so-great Islamist menace http://muslimmatters.org/2011/01/10/vancouver-sun-the-not-so-great-islamist-menace/
- 9 “The other kind of terror”, David Neiwert
- Realpolitic and terrorism - article collection
- Religious Extremism, Religious RightTAM article collection
- Religious terrorism is an oxymoron, Sheila Musaji
- Soldiers of Christ, Sit Down Kevin Beck
- Terrorist attacks within the U.S. or on Americans abroad
- Through the Looking Glass: Muslim Timeline for World Rule, Sheila Musaji
- U.S. State Dept. list of significant terrorist incidents 1961-2003
- Violence in the name of God
- Violence in Christian Theology, J. Denny Weaver
- The War on Terrorism: Muslims Look for Responsible Journalism Mahboob Khawaja
- When terrorism is not news largest bombmaking hoard discovered in Britain
- Whose taking the blame for Christian violence?, Calvin White
Nothing below this line has been updated since 2008
Some incidents of extremism, terrorism and extremist violence carried out by individuals and groups that were not Muslim, by country
Algeria: Injustice Ignored: Muslims of Algeria
Bosnia: A Genocide of Muslims
- Four Serbs sentenced for videotaped Muslim killings 4/07
- Genocide of Bosnian Muslims by Christian Serbs
- Serb sentenced to 15 years for rape & torture of Muslims 4/07
- U.S. Arms Embargo
Brazil: Criminal terrorist gangs organized gang attacks in Brazil, left 18 people dead, the attacks in Rio followed similar attacks in Sao Paulo in May and August last year, which left more than 200 people dead.
Britain: Combat 18
- White extremists use terror videos to threaten British Muslims - Christian
- National Socialist Movement
- Bishop receives death threats from Christians for backing request to allow call to prayer from Mosque 3/08
- Neil Lewington was convicted in July 2009 of plotting a racist terror campaign targeting Asians and Muslims with sophisticated homemade explosives.
- A network of suspected far-right extremists with access to 300 weapons and 80 bombs has been uncovered by counter-terrorism detectives who detectives seized maps and plans of mosques from the homes of suspected far-right supporters. 2009
- Four teenagers have been jailed for the racially-aggravated murder of a Muslim taxi driver in West Yorkshire, England. 2007 http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/west_yorkshire/6378593.stm
Burma: Democratic Karen Buddhist Army (DKBA)
- God’s Army - Christian
- Injustice Ignored: Rohingya Muslims: the Forgotten People of Our Time
- Massacre of 100,000 Muslims 1942
- Muslim Minorities Attacked in Myanmar
- Rangoon bombing by North Koreans
- 60 years of genocide against Burma’s Muslims
- Massacre of monks in Burma 10/07
Cambodia: Cambodian genocide
Cyprus: Kach attacks ferry - Jewish
El Salvador: Death Squads
East Timor: Genocide
France & Corsica:
- National Front for the Liberation of Corsica (FLNC)
- JDL members storm a bookstore and begin ripping books off shelves and tables, dousing them heavily with cooking oil, and then smashing four computers http://www.counterpunch.org/johnstone07062009.html
- Revolutionary Nuclei
- Revolutionary Organization 17th of November
- Anarchists claim responsibility for series of letter bombs and Athens Court bombing 11/10
Haiti: Tonton Macoute - Christian
- Ananda Marga Hindu
- anti-Christian violence by Hindus in India
- anti-Sikh massacres 1984 - Hindu
- Extremists attack jailed Christian - Hindu
- Indira Gandhi assassinated - Hindu
- Golden Temple massacre of Sikhs by Hindus
- Khalistan Zindabad Force - Sikh
- Babar Khalsa - Sikh
- Dal Khalsa - Sikh
- Massacre of Muslims in Gujarat
- Nagaland rebels
- National Liberation Front of Tripura - Christian.
- Peoples War Group
- Terrorists Kill 44, Wound 118 in Attacks - Christian
- Terrorists bring down Air India flight 182 - Sikh
- State Participation and Complicity in Communal Violence in Gujarat
- Attackers Cut Off Noses & Ears of Muslims in Kashmir http://www.irna.ir/en/news/view/menu-239/0606175651144746.htm
- Gujarat, Unbearable Burden of Belief, Zahir Janmohammed http://www.altmuslim.com/opinion_comments.php?id=993_0_25_0_C
- Hindu Persecution of Gujarat’s Christians and Muslims http://www.asianews.it/view.php?l=en&art=5755
- Indian Catholics Demanding Protection From Hindu Extremists http://www.theindiancatholic.com/newsread.asp?nid=5141
- Indian Hindu Religious Sect, Swadhyaya Parivar, Blamed in Murder Case http://www.indiaenews.com/religion/20060629/13118.htm
- Indian court convicts Hindu extremists for massacre of 116 Muslims in Bihar http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/south_asia/6764957.stm
- Rajneeshee Salmonella murder plot in Oregon 2001 http://www.cultsoncampus.com/shree.html
- Rise of the Hindu Taliban? http://mangalorean.com/news.php?newstype=local&newsid=42563
- Threats From Hindus Force Closure of Art Exhibit http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comment/story/0,,1784662,00.html
- Christian rebels from the National Democratic Front of Bodoland rebels on Sunday gunned down 11 people and wounded nine others at Dhimajuli village in central Assam’s Sonitpur district. 2009 http://www.christianaggression.org/item_display.php?type=NEWS&id=1254767525
Indonesia: Injustice Ignored: the Muslims of Indonesia
- Christian Zionism: Terror in Jesus’ Name (Yoginder Sikand)
- Crimes against humanity since WWII
Kach and Kahane Chai - Jewish
- Muslim holocaust and remembrance day
- The other kind of terror (David Neiwert)
- Has the U.S. Committed War Crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq, Robert Higgs
- Remember Faluja
- Rumsfeld backed Saddam Hussein even after chemical attacks
- 24,000 civilian Iraqi deaths in 2007
- What Happened In Najaf: A Battle or a Massacre? 2/07
- IRA Explosives Expert Arrested in Columbia
- Irish America and the Ulster Conflict
- IRAIrish Americans Provide Money to the IRA
- Irish National Liberation Army - Christian
- Irish Republican Army - Christian
- OrangeVolunteers - Christian
- Red Hand Commandos
- Sein Fein Leader Visits Connecticut
- A Timeline for the events in Northern Ireland including terrorist acts
- The Troubles - Christian
- Ulster Freedom Fighters
- Ulster Volunteer Force - Christian
- U.S. Jails IRA Gun Runners in Florida
- Aish HaTorah’s dedication of a scale model of the Temple on the rooftop of its International Outreach Center just a stone’s through (literally and figuratively) from the Western Wall in Jerusalem. http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2009/08/10/aish-hatorah-erects-third-temple/
- al Aqsa mosque Jewish extremists try to storm al aqsa mosque
- Yigal Amir assassination of Yitzhak Rabin who proclaimed after his arrest that this was justified, even commanded, by the rulings of Din Mosser and Din Rodef, as described in the Jewish religious law. and 
- Yonah Avrushmi, a Jerusalemite Jew, threw a hand grenade at a Peace Now demonstration near the Prime Minister’s office in Jerusalem. The blast killed Emil Grunzweig, one of Peace Now’s leaders, and injured nine others. http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2009/11/26/annals-of-jewish-terror/
- Axe-wielding ultra-Orthodox Jews went on a rampage in a Jerusalem neighbourhood, wounding a Palestinian taxi driver, destroying his vehicle and setting dumpsters on fire. http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5h7RLUyHxQ4tla-w39UbgTpyJM2GQ
- David Ben-Shimol, an IDF soldier, shot a rocket he stole from the IDF at a Palestinian bus in East Jerusalem, killing one Palestinian and injuring ten others. http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2009/11/26/annals-of-jewish-terror/
- Collective Punishment - Avi Dichter, Israeli Public Security Minister instructed police to demolish the house belonging to the family of an Arab terrorist. Jewish extremists attempt to destroy the home and go through the village randomly destroying property and terrorizing people.
- Deir Yassin massacre
- Effi Eitam, former Israeli cabinet minister said: “The vast majority of West Bank Arabs must be deported ... We will have to make an additional decision, banning Israeli Arabs from the political system … We have cultivated a fifth column, a group of traitors of the first degree.”
- Danni Eisenman, a settler from Maale Adumim, and Michal Hillel, a student from Jerusalem, together with Gil Fuchs, a soldier, killed a Palestinian taxi driver on the road to Maale Adumim. http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2009/11/26/annals-of-jewish-terror/
- Espionage against the U.S. - Ben-Ami Kadish, a mechanical engineer at a U.S. Army facility in New Jersey was arrested on charges of relaying secrets to Israel from 1979 to 1985, including nuclear secrets. 4/08
- Eliran Golan, an Israeli Jew from the city of Haifa, planted several homemade bombs in Haifa, targeting local Arab citizens. One of the bombs, planted in a mosque in the predominantly Arab Halisa neighborhood in Haifa, killed an Arab worshipper.
- Baruch Goldstein an American Israeli doctor opened fire at a mosque and killed 30 Palestinians. also called the Hebron massacre - Hebron massacre (Baruch Goldstein massacred Muslims during Friday prayers at mosque. Goldstein’s tombstone reads Here lies the saint, Dr. Baruch Kappel Goldstein, blessed be the memory of the righteous and holy man, may the Lord avenge his blood, who devoted his soul to the Jews, Jewish religion and Jewish land. His hands are innocent and his heart is pure. He was killed as a martyr of God on the 14th of Adar, Purim, in the year 5754 (1994). After his death there are annual graveside parties to celebrate Goldstein) - Jenin massacre
- Alan Goodman, a U.S. citizen, attacked Palestinians at al-Aqsa Mosque on the Temple Mount, killed a Palestinian Waqf guard and injured several Israeli policemen. http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2009/11/26/annals-of-jewish-terror/ - - Alan Goodman, an Israeli citizen with a U.S. passport, marches into Al Aqsa with an M-16 rifle and opens fire on worshippers, killing two Palestinians and wounding others. In November 1997, the Israeli government releases Goodman. Unrepentant, Goodman boasts, “I fulfilled my mission.”
- George Habash, founder of PFLP and pioneer of airplane hijacking was a Christian http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,1707366,00.html#ixzz0jlBdyUVO
- Gur Hammel, an Israeli settler from Itamar, used a rock to shatter the head of an elderly Palestinian man while on a hike near the village of Beit Fourik, near Nablus.
- Hebron Attack that killed three Palestinians, including an infant. All the victims were members of the same family, returning home from a wedding.
- Houses of Worship - Arson Destroys West Jerusalem Baptist Church http://www.jerusalemites.org/crimes/crimes_against_christianity/19.htm
- Hebron evictions: Jewish settlers shoot Palestinians http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/video/2008/dec/05/hebron-settlers-shooting-israel-palestinians
- Injustice Ignored: Timeline of Palestine History
- IDF - murders at Manara Square, Ramallah where Four bystanders were killed, more than 30 wounded
- IDF soldier kills British filmmaker James Miller.
- IDF Trains Muslim-Hating Dogs http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2010/01/04/idf-trains-muslim-hating-dogs/
- IDF Murder of of Rachel Corrie an American citizen.
- Irgun terrorist attacks during 1930’s
- Israel bans use of the term nakba (catastrophe) from Arab schools http://www.theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/features/articles/nakhba_denial/0017356
- Israel Accused of State Terrorism
- Israeli diplomat carrying large amount of explosives arrested in Argentina
- Jewish extremists suspected in attack on Israeli peace activist http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/25/world/africa/25iht-settlers.4.16485478.html?_r=1
- Jewish terrorism in Israel list http://www.religiondispatches.org/books/politics/3428/opening_the_door_to_hell%3A_jewish_terrorism_in_israel
- Jewish underground group set off car bombs that crippled two Palstinian mayors, and plannned to bomb five Arab commuter buses and and blow up Al-Aksa Mosque in Jerusalem, partly in hopes of provoking a war so cataclysmic that it would hasten the arrival of the Messiah. http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9C02E1DD1539F931A25752C1A963958260&sec=&spon=&pagewanted=all - another extremist group plotted to blow up a Palestinian hospital and a girls’ school in Arab East Jerusalem http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/may/13/israel and 
- Kach Movement weapons cache A cache of weapons discovered hidden in caves in the West Bank has raised extra alarm bells among Israel’s internal intelligence service because the terrorists are Jewish extremists.The weapons were stolen from the army by members of the same movement that tried to blow up an Arab girls’ school in Jerusalem two years ago using a trailer packed with explosives. Fox News Aug. 16, 2004 - Kach attacks ferry in Cyprus. - Noam Federman former leader of the Kach party involved in many acts of terrorism
- King David Hotel bombing by Irgun kills 91 - first terrorist attack of modern era in the Middle East http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_David_Hotel_bombing King David Hotel bombing celebrated by Jewish extremists.
- Lavon Affair
- Yisrael Lederman, an IDF reservist, shot and killed a Palestinian civilian to avenge the murder of his friend, a day earlier, in East Jerusalem. http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2009/11/26/annals-of-jewish-terror/
- Lehi zionist terrorist group Assassinates Count Folke Bernadotte, United Nations mediator in Palestine, and his aide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folke_Bernadotte
- Modesty patrols of ultra-orthodox Jews beat a woman for “consorting with men” http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1032853.html - They hurl stones at women for such “sins” as wearing a red blouse, and attack stores selling devices that can access the Internet. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/04/jewish-modesty-patrols-so_n_131960.html
- Daniel Morali, an Israeli whose brother was killed a year earlier, shot and killed a Palestinian truck driver inside Israel. http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2009/11/26/annals-of-jewish-terror/
- Muslim Cemetary in Israel Vandalized by Jewish Extremists
- Orthodox Jew stabs three at Jerusalem gay pride parade
- Orthodox Jews throw stun grenades at rival yeshiva, injure 3 students http://failedmessiah.typepad.com/failed_messiahcom/2006/11/stun_grenade_th.html
- Ami Popper, a 21 year old Israeli, shot and killed seven Gazan Palestinian day laborers in the Israeli town of Rishon le-Tzion, south of Tel Aviv. http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2009/11/26/annals-of-jewish-terror/ - - Popper put on his army uniform on 20 May 1990 and asked men waiting at a bus stop in the Israeli town of Rishon Lezion for their identity cards. After confirming they were Arabs he lined them up and opened fire.
- Qana Massacre
- Revenge of the Children Jewish extremist group set a bomb which exploded at a Palestinian boys’ school in Arab East Jerusalem, injuring seven children and a teacher. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2002/may/13/israel
- “The Revenge Patrol.” On the second anniversary of the killing of Meir Kahane, four youngsters threw a hand grenade in Jerusalem’s Old City, killing one Palestinian and wounding many others.
- The rich history of Jewish terrorism
- Yehuda Richter, a Kach activist, opened fire on a Palestinian bus in the West Bank and injured several of the passengers. http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2009/11/26/annals-of-jewish-terror/
- Rights groups report a sharp increase of attacks by West Bank settlers on Palestinians, as well as rising right-wing violence against left-leaning Israelis http://www.csmonitor.com/2008/0930/p06s02-wome.html
- Dennis Michael Rohan attempts to set fire to al Aqsa mosque http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denis_Michael_Rohan
- Russian Orthodox nun attacked in Jerusalem http://www.jerusalemites.org/crimes/crimes_against_christianity/28.htm
- Sabra and Shatilla masacres
- Settler Terror Groups - Settlers terrorize palestinians, and more photos of Jewish settler violence
- Settler violence http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Israeli_settler_violence
- settlers from Bat Ayin rampaged through the West Bank village of Safa, smashing car windows, damaging homes and wounding 12 Palestinians
- Settler Threatens Gun Violence in Sheikh Jarrah http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/tag/settler-extremism/
- settlers on horseback set fire on Monday to at least 1,500 Palestinian-owned olive trees in the occupied West Bank and others stoned cars near Yitzhar. http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0720/breaking50.html
- Settlers suspected of polluting wells of the Palestinian village of Hirbat Atwana http://web.archive.org/web/20040822135907/http://www.maarivintl.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=article&articleID=9734
- settlers or settler supporters contaminated a cistern owned by a Palestinian family in the village of At-Tuwani. http://www.cpt.org/cptnet/2008/01/19/tuwani-cistern-contaminated-humra-valley
- Settlers attack West Bank mosque and burn holy Muslim books http://www.nyguardian.com/home-business/online-jobs-available.php?src=vcp
- Swedish human rights worker viciously attacked by Jewish extremists in Hebron. The Israeli army, which was intensively deployed in the area, did not intervene to stop the attacks.
- Settler group TNT (a Hebrew acronym for Counter-Terror Terror) and were referred to in the media as “The Jewish Underground,” set out to attack Palestinian leaders in the West Bank. They placed explosives on the cars of Palestinian mayors, shot and killed Palestinian students at a college in Hebron and plotted to blow up the mosques at Jerusalem’s Temple Mount and to explode busses carrying Palestinian civilians. Several of the 29 members of the group went on to become leaders of the West Bank settler movement. http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2009/11/26/annals-of-jewish-terror/
- Raphael Solomon, a student from the yeshiva at Joseph’s Tomb near Hebron, shot and killed two Palestinians at the Geha junction near Tel Aviv. http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2009/11/26/annals-of-jewish-terror/
- Julian Soufir murdered Taysir Karaki of Beit Hanina.
- two ultra-Orthodox Jewish newspapers altered a photo of Israel’s new cabinet, removing two female ministers. http://www.theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/features/articles/scarf_versus_disappeared/0017286
- Three stabbed by ultra-Orthodox Jew at Jerusalem gay parade http://www.mywire.com/a/AFP/Three-stabbed-ultraOrthodox-Jew-Jerusalem/916226
- Yakov Teitel, a Jewish extremist is suspected of 2 murders previously blamed on Palestinians http://mondoweiss.net/2009/11/jewish-extremist-is-suspected-of-2-murders-a-sanctimonious-mort-zuckerman-pinned-to-palestinians.html - Teitel was arrested for a string of hate crimes http://articles.sfgate.com/2009-11-02/news/17179677_1_crimes-bomb-police
- Ultra Orthodox Jews Suspected in Jerusalem Bombing Protesting Gay Parade
- U.S.S. Liberty - USS Liberty attacked by Israel - Cover Up of the Attack, Sarah Weir http://www.counterpunch.org/weir10242003.html - A Fair Probe Would Attack Liberty Misinformation http://www.doublestandards.org/moorer1.html - Time for the truth about the Liberty http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070608/news_lz1e8boston.html
- The Wall - The Wall Maps of “the wall”
- Nachshon Walls, an American-born settler and supporter of the Kach movement, shot at a Palestinian vehicle near Hebron, killing a 25 year old Palestinian woman. http://www.richardsilverstein.com/tikun_olam/2009/11/26/annals-of-jewish-terror/
- Asher Weisgan murdered 4 Palestinians
- Widespread Illegal Medical Experiments Conducted on Arab Patients in Israel http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/734971.html
- Eden Natan-Zada, opened fire in a bus in Shfar’am killing four people and wounding 22. - Stern Gang assassinates Lord Moyne in Cairo 1944.
- Zionist Action Group attacked airlines and airports in Portugal.
- Zionist terrorists
Kosovo: Genocide in Kosovo
Latin America: The growing terrorism challenge in Latin America 2/2007
Lebanon: Tel al Zaatar massacre - Christian
Namibia: Namibia genocide by Germans - Christian
- 300 Muslims killed
- Yelwa massacre of 630 Muslim Nomads by Christians
- At least 12 dead in Nigerian violence 1/08
- Christian Churches involved in Torture, Murder of Thousands of African Children Denounced as Witches 2009
- A Nigerian preacher has been sentenced to death for burning women he said were adulterous, and killing one. Emeko Ezeuko, known to his followers in the Christian Praying Assembly 2007 http://muslim-responses.com/The_Burning_Preacher/The_Burning_Preacher_
Peru: Shining Path
Portugal: Zionist Action Group attacked airlines and airports - Jewish
Russia: Stalin’s deportation of 1.5 million Muslims
- Army for the Liberation of Rwanda - Christian
- Interahamne - Christian
- Rwandan genocide - Christian
- Surviving genocide, Rwandans turn to Islam
- 2 nuns convicted of genocide
- U.S. and the Genocide in Rwanda
Serbia: First nation charged with genocide in massacres of Muslims - Christian
- Boeremag - Christian
- Role of Dutch Reformed Church in Apartheid
- South African police have charged five white extremists connected to an alleged terrorism plot to target next month’s World Cup. 2011 http://www.abc.net.au/news/2010-05-08/white-extremists-linked-to-world-cup-terrorism-plot/426862?section=justin
- Anti Fascist Resistance Group
- ETA Basque group - Christian
- ETA bombing at Madrid airport
- Explosives haul found in Basque region 4/2/07
- ETA claims responsibility for two bombings in Spain 12/07
- The Basque separatist group ETA has defended a car bombing that killed two people, including a six-year-old girl. 2002 http://edition.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/08/14/spain.eta1400/index.html
- A Spanish Civil Guard policeman was killed and a second officer wounded Tuesday in a shootout with two suspected members of the Basque separatist group ETA. 2002 http://edition.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/europe/12/17/spain.shooting/index.html
- An explosion killed two police officers and wounded two other people on Friday in northern Spain in an attack that bore the hallmarks of the Basque separatist group ETA, officials said. http://edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/05/30/spain.bomb/index.html 2003
- Buddhist Nationalism and Religious violence in Sri Lanka http://www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/slrv.htm
- Chronology of Tamil Tigers Suicide Attacks http://www.spur.asn.au/chronology_of_suicide_bomb_attacks_by_Tamil_Tigers_in_sri_Lanka.htm
- Buddhist extremists attack Christian childrens home
- 103 Muslims killed by Tamil Tigers - hindu
- Scores killed in Sri Lanka suicide blast - Hindu
- Tamil Tigers fire on U.S. and Italian envoys helicopters 2/2007
- Thousands flee Tamil clashes 4/1/07
- Roadside bomb kills five, wounds 28 in Sri Lanka capital 1/08
- Sri Lankan Tamil MP assassinated in temple 1/08
- Eleven Muslims Butchered in Sri Lanka http://www.asiantribune.com/index.php?q=node/2024
- Tamil Tiger Hindu Terrorists Strike Again in Sri Lanka http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/200610/s1766197.htm
- Prime Minister assassinated by Buddhist Monk 1959 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S._W._R._D._Bandaranaike
- Injustice Ignored: Muslims of Southern Thailand
- Terrorist bombs blamed on ex Prime Minister
- Bangkok Terrorist Bombings Blamed on ex-Prime Minister http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/01/02/wthai02.xml
- Thai Buddhist Vigilante Squads Suspected in terrorism 8/7/07 http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2007/08/07/ap3995766.html
- Monks With Guns: Discovering Buddhist Violence
Turkey: Armenian Secret Army for the Liberation of Armenia - Christian
- Anthrax attacks
- Army of God, anti-abortion movement
- anti-abortion terrorists have been responsible for six murders and 15 attempted murders (see Lake of Fire), according to the National Abortion Federation. They have also been behind some 200 bombings and arsons, 72 attempted arsons, 750 death and bomb threats and hundreds of acts of vandalism, intimidation, stalking and burglary. (as of 1998) http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/1998/summer/anti-abortion-violence
- Aryan Nations
- Assassination of Martin Luther King by James Earl Ray
- Assassination of Robert Kennedy by Sirhan Sirhan (a Christian Palestinian)
- John Patrick Bedell, an anti-government conspiracy theorist, wounded two police officers at the Pentagon before being shot to death. 2010
- Birmingham church bombing
- Black Liberation Army
- Bomb blast in Salt Lake City
- Rev. Michael Bray, convicted anti-abortionist
- Centennial Olympic Park bombing
- Christian Identity Movement
- Christian Zionism: Terror in Jesus’ Name http://theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/features/articles/christian_zionism_terror_in_jesus_name1/ - Christian Zionists: Mixing Prophecy and Politics http://csmonitor.com/2004/0707/p15s01-lire.html - Christian Holy Warriors Set Sights on Iran http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=35896
- Children of Thunder kill five people to raise money to defeat Satan
- Christian Terrorism and more
- Christian Terrorist Cells in the USA
- Creativity Movement
- Croatian separatists bomb Statue of Liberty records room
- Domestic terrorism in the U.S.
- Earth Liberation Front
- Evangelizing Muslims & Jews, a new Crusade - article collection
- Exorcism kills child in 2004
- Genocide against Native Americans
- Robert Ferro 1,500 guns found in Robert Ferro’s home in Riverside, CA in plot to overthrow Castro government
- Hate Crime Charges Filed Against Five Jewish Teenagers in New York. - Five More Jewish Teens May Be Charged in New York Beating of Muslim
- Heaven’s Gate Cult suicides http://www.religioustolerance.org/dc_highe.htm
- Lucas John Helder rigged pipe bombs in private mailboxes to explode when the boxes were opened. He injured 6 people in Nebraska, Colorado, Texas, Illinois, and Iowa. His motivation was to garner media attention so that he could spread a message denouncing government control over daily lives and the illegality of marijuana. 2001
- Helzer, Justin & Dawn Godman, In order to raise money to defeat Satan Glenn and Justin Helzer and Dawn Godman slaughtered five innocent people 2000
- Hirabah - Jihad - Terrorism - Violence - Just War - Crusades - article collection
- History of backlash attacks against Arabs and Muslims in America
- Is terrorism tied to Christian Identity Movement?
- Islamophobia & extremist statements about Islam
- George Djura Jakubec, a Serbian national is arrested after being found with the largest cache of the homemade explosives PETN and HMTD ever found in the United States was discovered on Thanksgiving Day by San Diego police. 2010
- JDL - Two leaders of the Jewish Defense League, Irv Rubin and Earl Krugel conspired to blow up Arab and Muslim institutions in southern California, including the offices of Arab-American congressman Rep. Darrell Issa in California. The Jewish Defense League was linked with a bomb explosion outside of Aeroflot’s New York City office, and a detonation outside of Soviet cultural offices in Washington. Also a JDL member allegedly fired a rifle into the Soviet Union’s mission office at the United Nations. Two JDL members were convicted of bomb possession and burglary in a conspiracy to blow up the Long Island residence of the Soviet Mission to the UN. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_terrorist_incidents%2C_1970 - FBI statistics show that from 1980 through 1985, there were 18 terrorist attacks in the U.S. committed by Jews; 15 of those by members of the JDL http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jewish_Defense_League#cite_ref-bohn_7-0 - - Victor Vancier head of the JDL ‘‘terrorist bombings’’ in the New York area since 1984 http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9B0DE4DF1039F934A15753C1A961948260
- Stephen John Jordi, anti-abortionist
- Judge in Schiavo Case Receives Death Threats From Christian Extremists http://www.villagevoice.com/news/0513,mondo3,62472,6.html
- Left Behind ‘Convert or Die’ Computer Game Divides Christians http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2006/12/12/MNG8TMU1KQ1.DTL
- Theodore Kaczynski, the unabomber
- Gordon Kahl and the Posse Commitatus
- Kingdom Identity Ministries
- KKK assassination of Medgar Evers
- KKK lynching of Michael Donald
- KKK murder of Emmett Till 1955 - KKK murder of 3 civil rights workers in Mississippi
- William Klar
- James Charles Kopp, murdered an abortion doctor in 1998 and 
- Mosques in the U.S. that have experienced vandalism or violent incidents
- murder of Viola Liuzzo by KKK in 1965
- Mountaineer Militia members are arrested in plot to blow up the FBI fingerprint records center in West Virginia. 1996
- Murder of Matthew Shepherd http://www.geocities.com/corkymcg/crime/proj005.html
- Murder of young Mormon wife by zealot Mormon sect
- North American Militia members are arrested in plot to bomb Federal Buildings in Michigan, a television station and an interstate highway intersection. 1998
- Alex Odeh murdered in bomb attack in California
- Oklahoma Constitutional Militia members arrested while in the planning stages for bombings of Southern Poverty Law Center, gay bars and abortion clinics. 1995
- Order of the Solar Temple deaths http://www.crimelibrary.com/notorious_murders/mass/solar_temple/1.html
- People’s Temple and Jim Jones
- Rev. Fred Phelps, The man who loves to hate http://www.motherjones.com/news/feature/1999/03/lauerman.html
- Pro Life Action Network - Dubbed “the Year of Fear and Pain” by militant activists of Joseph Scheidler’s Pro-Life Action Network (PLAN), 1984 was marked by 25 clinic arsons and bombings, resulting in millions of dollars in damage. Among these were the so-called “Christmas bombings” of two clinics in Pensacola, Fla. At least seven attacks were planned and carried out by a group headed by Rev. Michael Bray, of Bowie, Md., who epitomizes the activist who engages in nonviolent protests by day but wages covert terrorism by night. http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/1998/summer/anti-abortion-violence
- Puerto Rican nationalist shooting at U.S. Capitol, House of Representatives 1954
- Radical Domestic organizations in the U.S.
- Religious extremism, religious right - article collection
- Religious hate seen as motive in murder of California Muslim woman
- The Republic of Texas militia plotted to assassinate President Clinton using biological weapons. 1998
- The Republic of Texas militia also plotted an attack on the Houston Federal Building. 2000
- Michael Reynolds and the Wyoming refinery plot. Reynolds was charged with involvement in a multistate plot to blow up a Wyoming natural-gas refinery and other pipeline and refinery targets. 2005
- Rescue America - In 1993, Dr. David Gunn was shot to death by Rescue America activist Michael Griffin. http://www.splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/1998/summer/anti-abortion-violence?page=0,1
- Christopher Riendeau, Valdosta GA arrested with a stockpile of guns, ammo, and bomb making material, KKK materials 7/30/07
- Daniel Robinson arrested in bomb plot. His house had bottles of chemicals and a bag of fuses, along with what appeared to be a list of 12 “targets,” including the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel, the Monitor Merrimac Memorial Bridge Tunnel, and federal buildings and federal courthouses in Norfolk and Newport News. Investigators testified Wednesday that they also found in Robinson’s house a list of senators in Virginia and North Carolina with some of them singled out. 2010
- Scott Roeder, a member of the Army of God militia murders Dr. George Tiller
- Jacques Roubidoux starves son to death “following God’s will.” 2002 http://www.courttv.com/trials/taped/robidoux/background.html
- Eric Rudolph, anti-abortionist, member of Army of God militia, the Atlanta Olympic Park bomber
- San Joaquin Militia members arrested on charges of plotting to bomb critical infrastructure locations in hopes of sparking an insurrection. The leaders of the group plead guilty to charges of plotting to kill a Federal judge. 1999
- Dena Schlosser kills her child to give her to God
- Seattle Shooting Suspect Was Convert to Christianity http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/local/279424_convert30ww.html
- Arthur Shelton murders friend because he didn’t believe in God, Michigan
- Aaron Snyder attempts to assassinate Colorado Gov. 2007 - he was killed, and left a journal containing the message “I am now the Lord Governor of Christiendom (sic),” Snyder wrote in one March 30 entry. “All the sovereignty of the U.S. has been taken away by God and has been given to me.” He also had numerous references to Jesus Christ, quoted Bible passages. 2007
- Andrew Joseph Stack carried out a suicide attack by flying a plane into an IRS office building in Texas, leaving behind a long rant against the government, big business, and the tax system. 2010
- Sterling Hall Bombing, University of Wisconsin 1970, Karleton & Dwight Armstrong, David Fine & leo Burt
- Southeastern States Alliance militia group, leader is arrested in plot to bomb energy faculties with the goal of causing power outages in Florida and Georgia. 1999
- Temple of Love Church - Yahweh ben Yahweh and six leaders of his Temple of Love church in Florida were convicted of murdering 14 church defectors and other critics. 1992
- Terror From the Right - Almost 60 terrorist plots uncovered in the U.S. from 1995 to 2005
- Third Continental Congress militia members are arrested while planning attacks on military bases which they believed were being used to train United Nations troops to attack U.S. citizens. 1997
- Rev. David Trosch, former priest who publicly advocated violence against abortion providers
- Chris Turgeon and the Gatekeepers, A Killing in God’s Name http://www.sullivan-county.com/news/mine/gods_name.htm
- U.S. Senate bombing Marilyn Buck, Laura Whitehorn, and Linda Evans 1983
- Vermont man attempts to kill Muslim family to protect U.S.
- Viper Team militia members arrested on suspicion of plotting violence against Federal buildings. 1996
- Clayton Waagner, murderer, domestic terrorist, bank robber, anti-abortionist
- Weatherman organization
- Randy Weaver and Ruby Ridge
- Robert Weiler made a pipe bomb to attack abortion clinic
- Westboro Baptist Church and Fred Phelps
- Byron Williams, was arrested after a highway shootout after he had loaded up his car with guns and ammunition and drove to San Francisco to, as he said, “kill people of importance at the ACLU and Tides Foundation.” 2010
- Andrea Yates, Deanna Laney , and Lawshaun Harris (devout Christians) killed their children because “God told them to”.
USA Militia Violence
A few examples of previous militia violence: Birmingham, Alabama area anti-immigration militia were arrested for planning a machine gun attack on Mexicans - Idaho Mountain Militia Boys plot to kill a judge an a police officer and break a friend out of jail - Texas Militia plot to attack the Federal Building in Houston - Richard McLaren, former president of the Republic of Texas militia, kidnapped his neighbors leading to a week-long standoff between the police and “antigovernment separatists. - Minutemen American Defense militia, anti-immigrant group, murder of a Hispanic family in Arivaca AZ - Mountaineer Militia members are arrested in plot to blow up the FBI fingerprint records center in West Virginia. - North American Militia members are arrested in plot to bomb Federal Buildings in Michigan, a television station and an interstate highway intersection. - Oklahoma Constitutional Militia members arrested while in the planning stages for bombings of Southern Poverty Law Center, gay bars and abortion clinics. - The Republic of Texas militia plotted to assassinate President Clinton using biological weapons. - Scott Roeder, a member of the Army of God militia murders Dr. George Tiller - San Joaquin Militia members arrested on charges of plotting to bomb critical infrastructure locations in hopes of sparking an insurrection. - Eric Rudolph, anti-abortionist, member of Army of God militia, the Atlanta Olympic Park bomber - Southeastern States Alliance militia group, leader is arrested in plot to bomb energy faculties with the goal of causing power outages in Florida and Georgia. - Third Continental Congress militia members are arrested while planning attacks on military bases which they believed were being used to train United Nations troops to attack U.S. citizens. - Viper Team militia members arrested on suspicion of plotting violence against Federal buildings. (see also article on Hutaree which includes extensive information on militias)
Uzbekistan: Genocide in Uzbekistan
Yugoslavia: Croat extremists blow up JAT flight 364 - Christians
Yugoslavia: Croat extremists blow up JAT flight 364 - Christians
A terrorist by any other name, Jon Pahl http://www.commongroundnews.org/article.php?id=27612&lan=en&sid=1&sp=0&isNew=1
Actually, Many Muslim Terrorists Are as Unbalanced as Jared Loughner, Cord Jefferson http://www.good.is/post/like-jared-loughner-many-muslim-terrorists-suffer-from-mental-health-issues/
Hate rhetoric is escalating into violence, Sheila Musaji (with lists of politically motivated threats and actual incidents of violence including many terrorist acts for whom the perpetrator is not yet known) http://www.theamericanmuslim.org/tam.php/features/articles/hate_rhetoric_is_escalating_into_violence/0018003
Hutaree Militia Arrests Point to Tripling of Militias since 2008 http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Justice/2010/0329/Hutaree-militia-arrests-point-to-tripling-of-militias-since-2008
Militia Movement: Extremism in America, ADL http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/militia_m.asp?xpicked=4&item=19
Militias Seen as Gaining Strength http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2010-04-16-militia-movement-on-the-rise_N.htm
Officials See Rise In Militia Groups Across US, Eileen Sullivan http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/08/12/officials-see-rise-in-mil_n_257128.html
Oklahoma City bombing: Is 1995 repeating itself today?, Peter Grier http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/2010/0419/Oklahoma-City-bombing-Is-1995-repeating-itself-today
Perceptions of terrorism, post 9/11, Erin McIver http://www.themontrealreview.com/2009/Perceptions-of-Terrorism.php
The Return of Christian Terrorism, Mark Juergensmeyer http://religiondispatches.org/archive/religionandtheology/2432/the_return_of_christian_terrorism________/
Some terrorism scares are more useful than others http://emptywheel.firedoglake.com/2011/01/20/some-terrorism-scares-are-more-useful-than-other-terrorism-scares/
Todays Eerie Similarities to Oklahoma City, Aitan Goelman http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0410/35993.html
Was Joseph Stack a terrorist, Kevin Drum http://motherjones.com/kevin-drum/2010/02/was-joseph-stack-terrorist
What Americans Can Do to Discourage Future McVeighs, Kathleen Parker http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/04/16/AR2010041603842.html
What if they were Muslim http://whatiftheyweremuslim.com/
Why are Mexican drug cartels not listed as terrorist organizations http://tucsoncitizen.com/view-from-baja-arizona/2010/08/17/mexican-drug-cartels-are-not-listed-as-official-terrorist-organizations/
Why is no one calling Jared Loughner a terrorist http://www.good.is/post/why-is-nobody-calling-jared-loughner-a-terrorist/
Muslim Voices Against Extremism and Terrorism - Resources (collections of articles and references)
- Part I Fatwas
- Part II Statements by Organizations
- Part III Statements and Articles by Individuals
- Part IV A Few Quotes
- Part V The Muslim Majority Who Don’t Get Publicity
- Selective Hearing of Muslim Voices Against Extremism
- Sunni Shia Resource - collection of articles
- Polls, statistics, and surveys relating to Islam and Muslims
- Resources for Responses to Islamophobia and Allegations Against Islam and Muslims
- Claim That All Terrorists are Muslims Ignores History collection of incidents and responses
- RELIGIOUS EXTREMISM - TAM article collection
- Extremist Christian statements
- Extremist Jewish statements
- Islamophobia - Alarming Statements 1 - 2000 and before
- Islamophobia - Alarming Statements 2 - 2001-2005
- Islamophobia - Alarming Statements 3 - 2006-2007
- Mosques that have experienced vandalism or violent incidents
- Islamophobia - Incidents
originally posted 1/7/2007, updated 06/12/08 - and section divided